• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Other Sports

Smallville22

I can set my own custom title!
France Rally - Neuville extends lead in France

Thierry Neuville maintained his Rally of France lead amid intermittent rain and fog on Saturday morning.
Although the Belgian's M-Sport Ford was not fastest on any of the three stages as the recovering Sebastien Loeb and Sebastien Ogier took the wins, he still extended his overall advantage to 13.1 seconds.
It had been as high as 16s before a small error on the loop-closing Soultzeren stage cost Neuville a little time.
Jari-Matti Latvala is now second, edging his Volkswagen ahead of Dani Sordo's Citroen by 1.1s during the morning.
Loeb's farewell World Rally Championship event got a bit tough when he spun on the exit of a hairpin on SS9.
That cost him 10s and briefly dropped him behind new champion Ogier, who won the first two stages as he made up for his disappointing Friday.
Loeb's Soultzeren win swapped their positions again, meaning the Citroen driver finished the morning 19.8s off the lead and 5.6s behind third-placed Sordo, with Ogier another 3.6s back.
An over-cautious start from Evgeny Novikov looked like it might put his sixth place in jeopardy, but he then responded to pull away from Mikko Hirvonen, Mads Ostberg and Andreas Mikkelsen again.
Robert Kubica continues to lead WRC 2 by three minutes.

Smallville22

Superbikes - Magny-Cours WSBK: Lowes bags provisional pole

Yakhnich Yamaha’s Sam Lowes dominated the World Supersport qualifying practice session, and reached the top of the timesheets with just over fifteen minutes remaining, out pacing MAHI Racing’s Kenan Sofuoglu in the process.
Lowes did start off the outing as the quickest rider, only for his Kawasaki rival to up the speed, but he could only manage a few minutes and laps as the provisional pole sitter, as Lowes went one tenth of a second quicker to clinch the number one spot on the timesheet, with a 1'42.144. But the session ended early for Sofuoglu as he experienced a technical problem and retired to the pits.
Pata Honda’s Lorenzo Zanetti was in the mid pack for the majority of the session, but a fast final lap pushed him to third quickest with a 1’42.721, meaning ParkinGO MV’s Christian Iddon was forced down to fourth. The Stockport lad was lapping consistently quick times and kept up with the pace of the leading two rider’s, but was just pipped to the post in the dying seconds by Zanetti, with Lowes’ team-mate Vladimir Leonov rounding off the top five.
DMC-Lorenzini rider Kev Coghlan was on the heels of fellow Brit Iddon throughout the session, but as the chequered flag appeared fell back down to sixth, followed by Pata Honda’s Michael Van der Mark, with MAHI Racing’s Fabien Foret rounding off the top ten.
Rivamoto’s Jack Kennedy ended the World Supersport qualifying practice session in fifteenth after he could only muster a 1’43.794, and PTR Honda team-mates, Danny Webb and wildcard rider Lee Johnston ended the afternoon nineteenth and 22nd respectively.
VTR Racing’s Fabio Menghi crashed at Lycee with 35 minutes remaining of the session, and was sent to the medical centre, causing a red flag to appear. But he was not the only rider to succumb to that corner, after the re-start DMC-Lorenzini’s Alexey Ivanov and Kawasaki Intermoto’s Florian Marino quickly followed suit and crashed.

Smallville22

Superbikes - Magny-Cours WSBK: Sykes destroys field to take eighth pole of year

Kawasaki's Tom Sykes monstered the World Superbike opposition in Saturday's Superpole session at Magny-Cours, lapping almost a second faster than Sylvain Guintoli while also dealing with traffic at the same time.
Sykes put in a sensational 1'38.592 while threading his way past the touring Eugene Laverty, Vincent Philippe and Chaz Davies at the back of the circuit, and he was 1.3s ahead before Aprilia's Guintoli pulled back the gap.
Davide Guigliano put in a lap in the middle of the session, which had been declared wet but run on a dry track, which was enough to ward off the attentions of Laverty and keep him off the front row.
Michel Fabrizio, on the sister Pata Honda to Leon Haslam, joins Laverty on row two with Alstare Ducati's Ayrton Badovini in sixth. Marco Melandri, Chaz Davies and Philippe round out the finishers.

Superpole one

Sykes bounced back from a near-crash on his penultimate lap to set the fastest time on a drying track, more than a second and a half quicker than Laverty and Guintoli.
The Aprilia pairing left it very late in the session to put in quick laps, with first Guintoli setting the pace with Laverty behind him but the Irishman just stuck in another time to occupy second.
It was a disaster for Pata Honda's Leon Haslam, who lost the front through turn 12 early on and then had a couple of other moments which conspired to relegate the Derbyshire rider to 15th place, behind the returning Lorenzo Lanzi.

Smallville22

Superbikes - Magny-Cours WSBK: Sofuoglu edges Lowes to clinch Supersport pole

Yakhnich Yamaha’s Sam Lowes will start the World Supersport race from the front row at Magny-Cours tomorrow, but missed out on pole by six tenths of a second from rival, MAHI Racing’s Kenan Sofuoglu.
The Derby rider did look set to start from the number one spot on the grid, as he set the pace for most of the 45 minutes of lap time. But with thirteen minutes left Sofuoglu stormed to the top of the timesheets after an impressive 1’41.475. Rain had blighted most of the weekend, but had stopped in time for the Supersport rider’s to make it out on to the track.
However hard Lowes tried he could not topple the Turkish rider, and could not lap in the 1’41’s and had to settle for second after a 1’42.038. But Lowes will not be the only Brit starting on the front row, ParkinGO MV’s Christian Iddon was at the sharp end during the dying minutes of the outing, and was only four one-hundredths of a second slower than the Lincolnshire lad..
But the qualifying session ended a minute early, after pole setter, Sofuolgu crashed at Golf and the red flagged immediately went out. The current champ was not the only rider to hit the gravel, Rivamoto’s Jack Kennedy crashed at Imola. He was declared OK at the track side and made his way back to the pits.
PTR Honda’s Danny Webb, was on course for a front row start, as he was third quickest with a 1’42.721 lap, with thirteen minutes remaining. He was out paced by Tamburini and Morais, but still has a good start from the second row on Sunday.
There was the battle of the Pata Honda’s out on the French circuit, with Lorenzo Zanetti having the edge over Dutch team-mate Michael Van der Mark. The Italian went five one-hundredths of a second faster and finished the session in seventh.
DMC-Lorenzini rider Kev Coghlan completed the top ten. The Perthshire lad was fourth in the first half of the qualifying session, but fell back down to grid, as he wan unable to improve on his best lap of 1’42.842.

Smallville22

Rugby Championship - New Zealand retain title

New Zealand retained the Rugby Championship title by beating South Africa 38-27 in a nine-try thriller on Saturday.
The win ensured a 100 percent return from six games in the annual four-nation tournament for the world champions and a rare victory at Ellis Park.

Smallville22

Snooker - Allen wins first title in seven months

Northern Ireland’s Mark Allen comfortably beat China’s Ding Junhui 4-1 in the final of the Ruhr Open in Germany to secure his first title of the season.
Breaks of 76 and 100 helped Allen blitz into a 3-0 lead before Ding belatedly registered on the scoreboard in the fourth frame but any hopes of a fightback were dispelled when Allen wrapped up victory with a 74 in the fifth.
"The way my form has been over the last few months, it's a big achievement to win here," said Allen.
"I was able to have a couple of hours rest after my semi-final whereas Ding had a long match, so maybe he was not as fresh as me for the final, though I'm sure he was just as motivated.
"The crowd and the atmosphere here were brilliant. Snooker is taking off in mainland Europe which is good to see."
Allen saw off seven opponents en route to taking the €25,000 top prize (£21,100).

Smallville22

Motorsports - Silverstone BSB: Lowes steals tight race one victory from Byrne

Samsung Honda’s Alex Lowes fought till the bitter end with championship rival, Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki’s Shane Byrne to take a hard fought MCE British Superbike victory in the opening race this afternoon.
On the first lap it was Byrne who stormed straight to the front of the pack, with Lowes not far behind. But the crocked defending champ went slightly wide and the Derby lad was able to take advantage of the mistake and took the lead going into the Hangar Straight.
On the penultimate lap Byrne closed the gap on Lowes and both riders’ were side by side. But all the drama happened on the final lap. B
yrne was able to make a pass going into Maggots Corner, but his lead was not to last as Lowes made a pass that stuck going into Brooklands and even though Byrne, who is still recovering from a hip injury tried his best to take the 25 points it was not enough, and the Honda just had the pace going out of Luffield and clinched a tight race win.
By lap nine Lowes and Byrne pushed ahead and Tyco Suzuki's PJ Jacobsen was trailing three seconds behind in third, followed by Milwaukee Yamaha's Tommy Bridewell, but the New Yorker was not able to check off the charge of the Devizes Swearbox, and the Yamaha ride made a move on lap eleven to go into third.
The American was not giving up the fight and stayed on the bike of Bridewell till the very end, with the Brit taking third followed by Jacobsen.
But it was heart-break for Tyco Suzuki’s Josh Brookes. The title challenger was in third, chasing down Byrne for second, but had a technical problem on lap five at Stowe and was unable to make it across the finishing line.
Milwaukee Yamaha’s James Ellison powered through the grid and ended the race in fifth. The Cumbrian did start from eighteenth on the grid and after only the first lap made up nine places and made his way inside the top ten.
He had Buildbase BMW’s James Westmoreland in his sights and by lap seven had overtaken GBmoto’s Peter Hickman to go into sixth. A lap alter Ellison got the better of Jon Kirkham to push his way into the top five.
Kirkham, Hickman and Westmoreland safely made it inside the points, with Rapido Sport Racing’s Matteo Baiocco crossed the finishing line in ninth, with Quattro Plant Kawasaki’s Barry Burrell rounding off the top ten.
There were a few crashes out on the Northamptonshire track. On lap one GBmoto’s Dan Linfoot and Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki’s Noriyuki Haga collided and fell at Vale, but were declared OK at the track side.
Riders BMW’s Martin Jessopp retired to the pits a technical problem on lap five, and was later joined by Tsingtao WKbikes rider Howie Mainwaring Smart.

Smallville22

Motorsports - Silverstone BSB: Byrne clinches frantic race two win from Lowes

Kawasaki’s Shane Byrne narrowly won the second MCE British Superbike race from Honda’s Alex Lowes at Silverstone.
It was a photo finish between the rivals, with Byrne just having a slight edge and took the victory by twelve thousandths of a second.
On the first lap, it was Lowes who was at the sharp end off the starting block, with Byrne close behind, then the lead changed numerous times between the two lads.
On lap seven the Kawasaki rider made a mistake at Vale corner and Lowes made the most of it, but it was not to last, as Byrne made a comeback at Woodcote Corner on the final lap, to clinch a very tight win, meaning that he now leads the championship again by a single point.
Milwaukee Yamaha’s Tommy Bridewell ended up having a very lonely race. The Devizes Swearbox did start the afternoon in fifth, but clawed his way through the pack and had Tyco Suzuki team-mates Josh Brookes and PJ Jacobsen in his sights.
The Aussie rider did not give up his third place easily and managed to fend off his diminutive colleague, but did not have the pace to get rid of Bridewell, and the rider finished three seconds behind the leading duo. But it is the first double podium for the Yamaha man.
His team-mate James Ellison nearly came off his bike on lap seven, but managed to some how hold on to the bike and stay on to power ahead. The Cumbrian did start the race in third, but slipped back to sixth on lap seven, and on the final rotation he was able to push his way into the mini Tyco battle and first picked off Jacobsen but on the final lap got the better of Brookes to finish in the race in fourth.
Brookes rounded off the top five, followed by Jacobsen and Buildbase BMW's Jon Kirkham. Rapido Sport Racing’s Matteo Baiocco had his best British Superbike finish to date this season, as he managed to out pace title challenger, Buildbase BMW’s James Westmoreland to snatch eighth, with the BMW rider and Padgett’s Jakub Smrz rounding off the top ten.

Smallville22

WRC - Loeb crashes out in his final rally

Sebastien Loeb's final event ended in disappointment after he crashed out on the first of the last day's stages.
Heavy overnight rain made the opening Vignoble de Cleebourg a tricky test, with standing water and mud on several critical corners requiring the drivers to adopt a more cautious approach.
Running fourth on the road, Loeb slid off while tackling a long right-hander during an early section of the stage and subsequently rolled his Citroen DS3 WRC into a ditch.
The nine-time champion and co-driver Daniel Elena came away unscathed, but the accident brought an end to their last planned rally and dashed any hopes for a final hometown success.
Ogier, meanwhile, put in a stunning time through the same stage and finished 14.5 seconds ahead of Volkswagen team-mate and overnight leader Jari-Matti Latvala to take control of the rally.
The newly-crowned champion then went on to post the quickest times through the streets of Bischwiller and the last of the morning's stages in Hagueanu extend his overall lead to 13.7s.
Loeb's misfortune has promoted erstwhile rally leader Thierry Neuville up to fourth overall. The Belgian showed a good turn of speed during the morning to keep Ogier honest on stage pace.

Smallville22

WRC - Kubica reclaims points lead in WRC 2

Robert Kubica moved back into the WRC 2 championship lead by take his fourth category win on the Rally of France.
The ex-Formula 1 star dominated in the class in France, leading by over three minutes for most of the rally once main rival Elfyn Evans had been delayed by an early puncture.
The result means Kubica holds a seven-point lead over Abdulaziz Al-Kuwari in the standings.
Under WRC 2 regulations, drivers must pick seven events to contest, and both have now done six.
Kubica is set to enter the next round in Spain at the end of October, and first or second there could put the championship beyond Al-Kuwari's reach before he returns for the season finale in Wales.
Kubica's 2014 plans are not yet clear. Citroen expects him to play a role in its new World Touring Car Championship programme and he has also been linked to a place in its World Rally Car line-up.

Smallville22

WRC - Ogier celebrates title with home win

Sebastien Ogier celebrated winning the 2013 World Rally Championship title with a home victory on the Rally of France.
The Volkswagen driver achieved his seventh win of the season despite languishing in fifth place on Friday, half a minute behind a stunning lead fight.
Indeed in the early stages both Ogier and his retiring former arch-rival Sebastien Loeb were overshadowed in front of the local fans as Dani Sordo, Jari-Matti Latvala and Thierry Neuville battled in the top three.
Ogier admitted that after clinching the title on Thursday night, when the bonus points powerstage that usually concludes rallies was held, he was not fully focused on the first full day.
He soon raised his game and charged back into the lead fight.
Neuville and his flying M-Sport Ford looked like he might be out of Ogier's reach as he pulled away in the lead towards half-distance.
But Neuville ran wide and damaged a tyre on Saturday afternoon, resulting in a messy stage that cost him over a minute.
That left Sordo, Latvala, Loeb and Ogier in an incredibly close lead fight starting the final day.
It did not last long, though. Loeb crashed out of his WRC swansong on Sunday morning's first stage, where a blistering time from Ogier thrust him into the lead.
Ogier did not look back after that, resisting a final flurry of pace from Sordo's Citroen to win by 12 seconds.
Latvala fell away on the final morning's muddy conditions and settled for third, with Neuville a distant fourth.
Evgeny Novikov claimed fifth place, followed by an off-form Mikko Hirvonen.
This pair had joined Andreas Mikkelsen and Mads Ostberg in a battle for the lower points positions. Ostberg ended up at the back of this pack following brake issues on Sunday.
Robert Kubica dominated WRC 2 and finished ninth overall, ahead of 2010 Le Mans 24 Hours winner Romain Dumas, who was driving a WRC Ford on his home event.

Smallville22

Horse Racing - McCoy wins thriller to claim 4,000th race

AP McCoy rode Mountain Tunes to victory at Towcester to earn his 4,000th victory in horse racing.
Mountain Tunes had been a strong favourite to win the race, but as the horses came in the closing stages of the race he seemed a distant third and out of the running.
But an extraordinary finish saw McCoy guide his Jonjo O'Neill-trained horse to victory, thanks in large part to a perfectly-timed jump over the final fence, and he won the race by a head.
McCoy claimed his landmark victory in the familiar green and yellow colours of Irish magnate JP McManus, the owner who has been his main employer in an incredible career which has seen him crowned champion jockey an astonishing 17 consecutive times.
"It's amazing, it couldn't have worked out any better," he said after the race, adding that he was thrilled to have claimed his 4,000th win in the colours of the owner whose horses have powered his amazing record.

Dozens of figures from both horseracing and other sports have paid tribute to McCoy:

Mick Fitzgerald, ex professional jockey and now Channel 4 Racing presenter: “It is a huge deal, we’ll never see anything like it again. To have achieved this amount of winners in such as short space of time tells its own story and I’d like to offer him my sincere congratulations.”

Clare Balding, television presenter: “AP isn’t just the greatest jockey I have ever seen, he is the greatest sportsman I have ever come across. Bearing in mind he has been Champion Jockey for 18 consecutive years and Champion Conditional Jockey before that, he has never not been champion in his career. He has transcended the world of Jump racing and that, for me, is why he is an outstanding all round sportsmen. I feel very fortunate to have watched him throughout his career and that he chose racing. It’s hard to sum up how much admiration I have for him, he is an extraordinary human-being and amazingly kind. He is the Champion, has been from day one and will be until the day he finishes - he’ll be the best ever. It’s a privilege to know him.”

Michael Owen, ex-England footballer and horseracing fanatic: “He’s a phenomenon. To get to the top of your sport is hard enough but to stay there and to stay there for as long as AP has is quite astounding. And to do so in a sport that’s very hard mentally and physically – he must have broken every bone in his body and to have done it for so many years is it’s just an outstanding achievement. He’s an outstanding person and professional and a great ambassador for the sport. To reach 4000 winners is a phenomenal achievement and surely no one will do that again.”

Rod Street, Chief Executive of Great British Racing: “After all he’s achieved in racing, AP was already a legend and this latest incredible achievement just confirms his position amongst sport’s pantheon of greats. If you were going imagine the perfect ambassador for the sport, you would, only in your wildest dreams, dare to come up with AP – a man whose incredible talent is matched only by his unrelenting will to win and his phenomenal mental and physical toughness. He is the ultimate sportsman but also just an incredibly nice, funny and modest bloke. As a sport, we are incredibly lucky to have him.”

Richard Johnson, only the second jump jockey after McCoy to have ridden 2,500 winners: "What he's achieved has been amazing. He has completely rewritten what we thought was achievable in a season, and a career. Whether it's a Monday, a Saturday or a Festival, he's hungry and consistent every day. He rarely makes mistakes - you would struggle to think of one. He is a machine who turns out winners. He seems to get it right all the time and is a great ambassador for our sport, a true professional sportsman.”

Nick Scholfield, young professional jump jockey: “AP McCoy is absolutely remarkable. I’ve ridden 300 winners, and to imagine getting to 4,000 is something that really puts it in to perspective. You have to have dreams, and mine would be to ride that many winners, but he has set the bar so high that it’s unlikely that any jockey will ever achieve it again. What makes AP all the more remarkable is that he is riding as well today as he was when he first started in the 1990s. He just hasn’t deteriorated at all with age, although it would be great if he did as it would give the rest of us a chance!”

Paul Bittar, Chief Executive of the British Horseracing Authority: "It is nothing short of an astonishing achievement for AP McCoy to reach 4,000 winners in a sport which he has dominated for 18 years. He possesses the best qualities a modern day sportsman can aspire to – he is driven purely by a burning desire to win and to exceed the incredibly high standards he sets himself. His quest for success as a rider is his defining characteristic and the remarkable esteem in which he is held by his fellow jockeys and all within the sport is testament to that. To have ridden 4,000 winners is another incredible landmark in a glittering career, adding to those which already set him apart. British Racing is incredibly fortunate to have been blessed with a sportsman of the calibre of AP McCoy."

Paul Struthers, Chief Executive of the Professional Jockeys Association: "On the track AP is simply unbelievable. Unbelievably talented; unbelievably determined; unbelievably competitive and unbelievably tough. However, as driven and committed as he is on the track, he recognises that with success comes responsibility. He is Joint-President of the Professional Jockeys Association and is a strong supporter of PJA schemes that benefit all jockeys equally yet the busiest and most successful jockeys pay more for. He is also a passionate supporter of the Injured Jockeys Fund and is always happy to give up his spare time to help them in any way he can. You can have nothing but the utmost respect and admiration for AP. Everyone at the PJA congratulates him on this truly remarkable achievement. He's one of the most remarkable sportsmen we've ever seen in the United Kingdom and racing will never see anything like it again."

Smallville22

Motorsports - British racing legend Franchitti announces retirement

Scotland's three-time Indianapolis 500 winner Dario Franchitti has announced his retirement from the sport a month after a horrific crash.
The Scot said he was quitting on medical advice following a heavy crash in Houston last month that left him with spinal and head injuries. The 40-year-old Briton also suffered a concussion and broken ankle.
Franchitti's car went airborne and destroyed a portion of the catch fence at the Grand Prix of Houston, sending shards of debris into the packed grandstands where spectators were on their feet cheering the race's final lap.
"Since my racing accident in Houston, I have been in the expert care of some of the leading doctors and nurses, all of whom have made my health, my safety and my recovery their top priority," said Franchitti in a statement.
"I am eternally grateful for the medical care I have received over the last several weeks. I'd also like to thank my family and friends for their unbelievable support.
"One month removed from the crash and based upon the expert advice of the doctors who have treated and assessed my head and spinal injuries post accident, it is their best medical opinion that I must stop racing.
"They have made it very clear that the risks involved in further racing are too great and could be detrimental to my long term well-being. Based on this medical advice, I have no choice but to stop.
"Racing has been my life for over 30 years and it's really tough to think that the driving side is now over. I was really looking forward to the 2014 season with Chip Ganassi Racing, with a goal of winning a fourth Indianapolis 500 and a fifth IndyCar Series championship."
"Hopefully in time, I'll be able to continue in some off-track capacity with the IndyCar Series. "I love open-wheel racing and I want to see it succeed. I'll be working with [team owner] Chip [Ganassi] to see how I can stay involved with the team. As my buddy Greg Moore would say, 'See you up front.'"
Chip Ganassi, team owner of the car that Franchitti drives, paid tribute to Bathgate-born Franchitti,an avid fan of the Scottish football club Celtic.
Franchitti ends his career with 31 victories in the US, putting him equal eighth on the all-time list, and 33 poles.
"Dario Franchitti has done so much for Chip Ganassi Racing so it will be very disappointing to not see him in our cars next season," said Ganassi.
"But simply put, Dario is a motorsports legend and will be sorely missed on the race track by everyone in the paddock and in the stands.
"His contributions to the sport of motor racing are too many to list, but I can tell you that they go way beyond what he has done on the track.
"What's both impressive and unique about Dario is that he has always been a student of racing, someone who not only appreciates the actual science of the sport but also the rich heritage of those racers that have gone before him.
"This news only serves as the start of next chapter in Dario Franchitti's racing career - which I expect will be here with Chip Ganassi Racing."
Franchitti's career-ending crash came less than eight months after nearly 30 fans were injured at the Daytona International Speedway when a 10-car crash sent debris, including a tire, into the crowd during the final lap of a Nationwide NASCAR race.
It is also nearly two years since the motor racing world was left reeling when one of Franchitti's best friends, fellow Briton Dan Wheldon, died after a fierce 15-car crash in the IndyCar season-finale at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.
Franchitti made contact with Japanese driver Takuma Sato on one of the final turns, sending the four-time IndyCar champion's car airborne into the protective fence before spinning several times, while debris was sprayed toward the grandstands.
"On the last lap I caught the marbles and brushed the wall and lost momentum," Sato said. "A couple cars passed me as I was off line and in turn five. I got very loose and Dario and I came together. Hopefully Dario is OK."
An IndyCar official and two spectators were transported to hospital for evaluation, according to the auto-racing body, while the Houston Chronicle reported 11 other spectators were evaluated on-site.
Franchitti is a four-time IndyCar Series Champion in his fifth season with Target Chip Ganassi Racing alongside two-time champion Scott Dixon.
The native of Scotland has 261 starts under his belt in Indy Car racing and made headlines last January when he and American actress Ashley judd announced they were ending their marriage after 11 years.
Britain's Jenson Button, the 2009 Formula One world champion, paid tribute to Franchitti from Austin, where he is preparing for Sunday's US Grand Prix.
"Dario was one of the drivers I always used to look up to as a youngster. As a human being he is a proper legend in the sport. He has achieved so much but he also carries himself so well, he's such a nice person, a lovely guy," said Button.
"It's a shame obviously that he is retiring, he's still very young at heart but he is probably doing the right thing after such a big shunt.
"Sad to see him go but I'm sure he is still going to be around the sport."

Smallville22

WRC - Ogier heads Neuville in GB lead fight

Sebastien Ogier leads Thierry Neuville in a close fight for the Rally GB lead after Thursday evening's trio of stages in Wales.
The 2013 World Rally champion beat his Volkswagen team-mate Jari-Matti Latvala through the first two tests on Gwydyr and Penmachno, before Neuville thwarted any chance of an Ogier hat trick by winning the Clocaenog stage.
The M-Sport driver - in his lasting outing for the outfit - currently trails Ogier by 3.2 seconds after demoting Latvala to third overall thanks to his third-stage victory.
Mikko Hirvonen occupies fourth. The Finn took time to become accustomed to the conditions having not driven his Citroen DS3 WRC on similar terrain since Argentina back in early May.
Mads Ostberg has been hampered by gear-changing issues all evening and is 24.7s off the ultimate pace in fifth, ahead of Andreas Mikkelsen and Robert Kubica.
The former Formula 1 driver has fared well on his debut in a factory Citroen DS3 and reckons he is adapting to new co-driver Michele Ferrera's pacenotes with few issues. Kubica currently sits 35.4s off the lead.
Dani Sordo incurred a five-minute time penalty before the event began after stewards discovered that his Citroen DS3 was built upon the team's ninth chassis of the year, thus breaking the maximum of eight permitted per season.
The Spaniard has struggled through all three stages and faces an uphill struggle to score points this weekend as he tries to overcome a 5m40.8s defecit.

Smallville22

WRC - Kubica: Co-driver change will hurt me

Robert Kubica says his forced co-driver change will be his biggest obstacle on his debut at the Rally GB.
The WRC 2 champion has been drafted into Citroen's factory squad for 2013 season finale.
But Kubica's co-driver Maciek Barran's decision to retire from the sport and not make the step up to a DS3 WRC alongside Kubica has hit the 2008 Canadian Grand Prix winner hard.
"This is not a situation I would like to be in," said Kubica, who takes over Khalid Al-Qassimi's Abu Dhabi DS3 WRC this week.
"On one hand I look forward to this challenge and this opportunity, but the co-driver plays a big important role.
"I did a lot of rallies this year and I spent a lot of time this year preparing for the events and getting the pace notes right. And, practically in one day, I discover that all the work I did disappeared."
Italian Michele Ferrara will co-drive for Kubica this week, with the biggest change being that he will call the notes in Italian not Polish.
Kubica, who has spoken Italian since living there in his early racing years, has worked in Polish all season with Barran.
"It is more difficult for me now to change back to Italian than to learn from zero - everything is different... I am used to different sounds, everything," said Kubica.
Asked if he felt Barran's decision had spoiled Rally GB, Kubica said: "I think you use the right words to describe the situation.
"I was very keen to do GB. For me it was a nice moment and I was looking forward and I knew the challenge would be very difficult. After having to find a new co-driver has changed quite a lot my mind and mood."
Despite Barran's decision, Kubica said he had full confidence in Ferrara.
"I am pretty sure that with the level of Michele we will be able to do the rally without problems," he said. "And whatever the result, we will take big satisfaction.
"This is a big challenge, it's never easy for him to jump in with a new driver and new car - it's a special situation."

Smallville22

WRC - Ogier fastest in Rally GB qualifying

World Rally champion Sebastien Ogier has made the best possible start to this week's Rally GB with the fastest time in this morning's qualifying stage.
The Frenchman's Polo was seven hundredths of a second quicker than Thierry Neuville (Ford Fiesta RS WRC).
"The time was good," Ogier told AUTOSPORT. "We had no problems and running first on the road in qualifying wasn't a disadvantage for me.
"But now we have to think about where we want to run on the road for the first day, it's really not so simple.
"We will think about things, but on this rally it's never good to be too close to the back."
Neuville admitted a couple of mistakes early in the two-mile stage cost him the chance of fastest time.
"I was trying too hard in those first few corners," he said. "And after that I wasn't pushing hard enough in the fast sections. At the end, I'm not so happy - I lost some tenths in there."
Neuville's Qatar M-Sport team-mate Evgeny Novikov overcame a pre-event test shunt to go third quickest, with Jari-Matti Latvala unable to find confidence in his Polo in fourth.
"I changed the set-up," said Latvala. "In the test I found better grip from the harder suspension, so I changed for here, but I did not take enough risks. Let's see in the rally."
Mads Ostberg (M-Sport Fiesta) and Mikko Hirvonen were fifth and sixth respectively, with the latter ruing the lack of a pre-event test in his factory DS3 WRC.
Hirvonen's team-mate, Citroen DS3 WRC debutant Robert Kubica was just 0.402s slower than the Finn through the stage.
Kubica's focus remained on familiarising himself with his new co-driver Michele Ferrara and listening to his pace notes being read in Italian.

Smallville22

Rally Wales GB - Ogier edges away in Rally GB lead

Sebastien Ogier pulled clear in the lead of Rally GB on Friday morning, while Robert Kubica crashed out.
Ogier started leg two with M-Sport Ford's Thierry Neuville and his own Volkswagen team-mate Jari-Matti Latvala within five seconds of his first place.
But the 2013 champion kicked Friday off with a blistering stage win on Hafren, immediately stretching over 10 seconds clear.
Latvala raised his game by the loop-closing Myherin stage, admitting that as well as set-up changes, waking up a bit had helped his pace.
That stage win allowed Latvala to stabilise Ogier's lead at 13s.
It also brought Latvala up to second place, as Neuville struggled on Myherin and slowed his pace to try to understand why he was going wrong. He is now 35s off the lead and 22s behind Latvala.
Citroen had a terrible morning. First Kubica rolled out of seventh place on his top-class debut on Hafren, then Mikko Hirvonen had a big accident on Myherin while fourth and poised to take third from Neuville. Both DS3 crews were unhurt.
The only positive point for Citroen was that Dani Sordo won the short Sweet Lamb stage, though he is out of podium contention due to his five-minute pre-rally penalty for using a ninth chassis.
The morning's incidents mean M-Sport pair Mads Ostberg and Evgeny Novikov now complete the top five, with Andreas Mikkelsen on the Russian's tail.

Smallville22

Rugby - Brave England fall to New Zealand

England produced a battling display but could not quite record a repeat of last year as they fell 22-30 to New Zealand at Twickenham.
A blistering start from the All Blacks, including two tries in the first 20 minutes, raised fears of an England drubbing as New Zealand sought revenge after suffering their only defeat of 2012 at Twickenham 12 months ago.
But the hosts fought their way back from 17-3 down to lead 22-20 before a late rally from the All Blacks saw them secure their 13th win of the year.
New Zealand will be left counting the cost of the victory, however, as Dan Carter's 100th Test appearance came to a premature end as he was forced to limp off the field in the first half, while neither Tony Woodcock nor Owen Franks re-emerged from the dressing room after half-time.
England, too, suffered their own injury worries with Dylan Hartley going off for a concussion test and Owen Farrell limping off, both in the second half.
But while England have now completed their last match of the year, New Zealand set off for Dublin to face Ireland as they look to become the first team to go undefeated in a calendar year.
New Zealand got themselves on the scoreboard within two minutes with a moment of sheer brilliance from player of the year Kieran Read. The towering number eight drew Chris Ashton, Billy Vunipola and Lee Dickson out of position before offloading to Julian Savea to run through the resulting gap for the try.
Carter added the conversion and, although England got off the mark through a Farrell penalty five minutes later, then added a conversion before Read added a try of his own on 17 minutes.
If the first try was all about a brilliance from Read, the second was the best of the All Blacks working as a team. Almost every pair of hands was involved before Israel Dagg found Read outside him, the number eight skipping past Ben Foden's tackle to touch down.
England hit back immediately from the re-start though, Woodcock conceding a penalty before Chris Robshaw and Farrell decided to kick for the corner instead of taking the points.
Credit should go to England for their determination throughout the afternoon, but none more so than mid-way through the first half as they looked to stop the rampant All Blacks attack.
It took the hosts three attempts before they could force their way over the line for their only try of the afternoon, Farrell going back to the corner each time rather than changing tack and opting for the penalty kick.
Eventually it paid off, however, as Joe Launchberry picked up a loose ball and dived over the line, just ahead of skipper Robshaw who certainly would've seen his score disallowed for offside.
Farrell added the extras before exchanging penalties with Aaron Cruden, England's score coming after New Zealand had been reduced to 14 men by the sin-binning of Read.
The hosts further reduced the deficit, with another Farrell kick, heading into the interval before also scoring the first points of the second half, with two more penalties, to take the lead.
But New Zealand weathered the storm and did what they did best, putting late points on the board to deny England another famous win.
Savea scored his second try of the afternoon after a sublime one-handed off-load from Ma'a Nonu, before Cruden both converted and added another three points and New Zealand ran down the clock for the last eight minutes.

Smallville22

WRC - Kubica has second Rally GB crash

Robert Kubica suffered his second crash in as many days as he rolled out of Rally GB for the second time on Saturday morning.
The Pole, promoted to the World Rally Championship's top class for his GB debut after winning the WRC2 crown, rolled his factory Citroen DS3 at the start of SS11.
Both he and co-driver Michele Ferrara, driving together for the first time, were OK.
Having suffered a similar fate when he rolled into a ditch on Friday, Kubica had pledged to drive cautiously after Citroen rebuilt his car overnight.
"We took it very easy after yesterday," he said after returning under Rally 2 rules to finish the Saturday-opening SS10 ninth quickest. "When you want to drive those cars you have to take it very, very slowly.
"It's better in this kind of rally when you have a lot of uncertain places. Yesterday I was driving normally, having fun but trying to stay on the road and ended in the ditch. It was a bit unlucky."
WRC rules allow Kubica to rejoin again for Sunday with further time penalties if he wishes and the car can be repaired.
Kubica was not the only driver to fall foul of the 21.9km Dyfi stage, as M-Sport's Evgeny Novikov also crashed out. The team confirmed both he and co-driver Ilka Minor were OK.
Novikov had been running fifth overall, part of a three-car battle for fourth along with Andreas Mikkelsen and Mads Ostberg, before his shunt.
Mikkelsen won both the morning stages to take charge of that fight, but Volkswagen team-mate Sebastien Ogier has extended his rally lead after Jari-Matti Latvala in the third Polo struggled for pace.

Smallville22

WRC - Kubica retires from Rally GB

Robert Kubica's Rally GB is over as his Citroen was too badly damaged in his second crash of the weekend to rejoin for Sunday's final leg.
The Pole's debut at the World Rally Championship's top level proved shortlived as he had accidents on both Friday and Saturday mornings.
Although the damage from his first roll on leg two was relatively minor, allowing him to restart from 36th place, he had a bigger accident just two stages into his return.
Kubica put his Saturday crash down to a pace note error. Co-driver Maciek Baran's sudden departure prior to Rally GB meant Kubica was working alongside Michele Ferrara for the first time this weekend.
"Like yesterday, I had adopted a sensible pace, but that wasn't enough to make up for a misunderstanding with one of the pace notes on a very fast corner," said Kubica.
"The rear of the car slid wide and off the road into a ditch, and we ended up rolling twice."
Citroen has now lost two of its three works entries to big crashes this weekend, as Mikko Hirvonen was another to have an accident on Friday.
The team's remaining representative Dani Sordo goes into Sunday in seventh place, having taken a five-minute pre-rally penalty for a chassis change.